Pages

9/1/11

Let's chat about Placenta

A fresh placenta simmers with ginger, lemon, & a jalapeño pepper. photo via NY Mag  

Did you guys read "The Placenta Cookbook" article in NY Mag? I just finished it and my mind is full of questions and ideas regarding the topic. I love that NY Mag covered the story and I can only imagine the response the article has gotten them. I think the topic is fascinating. I'm curious to study how other cultures honor the placenta and their rituals surrounding birth. And the fact that other animals eat the placenta after birth is pretty interesting, we are, after all, animals (even though we spend much of our time disconnecting from that identity).

If eating your placenta after birth can help with alleviating postpartum depression, aid in breast milk production and lactation, act as a uterine tonic, and replenish nutrients lost during pregnancy... I'm in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment